Life as a PhD student at MIT isn't easy. Endless problem sets, exams, sponsor visits and committee meetings result in many sleepless nights. Your research work becomes your life and you feel guilty for every moment spent not working.

One of my guilty pleasures is baking. Whenever I need to celebrate or drown my sorrows, which occurs frequently as a graduate student, I find a new recipe. Over the past couple of years, I have subjected many of my friends and neighbors to my concoctions. They haven't seen anything yet!

For Christmas, I received the Flour cookbook. For those of you who don't know what Flour is, I feel sorry for you. Flour is a fantastic bakery and cafe located close to MIT. I'll often stop off here on my way home after a bad day for a sweet, sugary pick-me-up.

After receiving the cookbook, I decided with all my copious free time (yeah right) that I was in need of another project. My mission is to bake every recipe from the Flour cookbook before I graduate. Now the race is on.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Mmmmmmmuffins

Muffin batter ready for the oven.
It can be very difficult to get out of bed in the morning when you are a grad student.  You often stay up working late into the night, and there is often no set time that you need to be in the office.  One way to motivate yourself to get out of bed is to have a delicious breakfast waiting.
That was my strategy for the first week of November.  On the weekend, I decided to make the Raspberry-Rhubarb Muffins on page 52.  That way I could eat the delicious muffins all week!  I also decided to make a  small modification to match the ingredients I had on hand, and my favourite fruit.  That's right, I substituted in blueberries.
The final product.
The recipe itself was super easy to whip up.  All of the ingredients are things that you would typically have on hand (well if you like to bake like me:)) with the exception of the creme fraiche.  The results were fantastic!  The muffins were super moist on the inside (probably due to the creme fraiche) and crispy on the outside.  Because of all the moist goodness on the inside, the outside tended to also get moist fairly quickly, but with a quick five minute warmup, I had a delicious breakfast all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment