Life as a PhD student at MIT isn't easy. Endless problem sets, exams, sponsor visits and committee meetings result in many sleepless nights. Your research work becomes your life and you feel guilty for every moment spent not working.

One of my guilty pleasures is baking. Whenever I need to celebrate or drown my sorrows, which occurs frequently as a graduate student, I find a new recipe. Over the past couple of years, I have subjected many of my friends and neighbors to my concoctions. They haven't seen anything yet!

For Christmas, I received the Flour cookbook. For those of you who don't know what Flour is, I feel sorry for you. Flour is a fantastic bakery and cafe located close to MIT. I'll often stop off here on my way home after a bad day for a sweet, sugary pick-me-up.

After receiving the cookbook, I decided with all my copious free time (yeah right) that I was in need of another project. My mission is to bake every recipe from the Flour cookbook before I graduate. Now the race is on.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Mmmmm.... Cheddar Scallion Scones


Scones ready for the oven.
There is no better way to relax after a long day in the lab/office than baking.  That's exactly what I thought when I came home and decided to make cheddar scallion scones.  This actually happened about 1 month ago on a cold winter day, let's hope my posting frequency increases once my classes and presidential duties are over.  Yeah right. :)

It had been a long day and I was craving a warm bowl of soup and a scone seemed like the perfect treat to accompany it.  As an added bonus, baking this recipe would mean I could check another Flour recipe off my long list.

The completed scones cooling on a wire rack
The scones were actually remarkably easy to make, either that or my baking skills are improving.  No, it must be the latter.  The results were good, but a bit saltier than I would have liked.  Nevertheless, they still miraculously disappeared in 3 days and it wasn't my little tassie devil oven mitt that did the job :).

No comments:

Post a Comment